size requests/allocations of own widgets

Hello there,

I have made my own simple widget, it works, but one thing I don't like is
that if I request a size (width/height) and one of them gets bigger, the
other doesn't. Now, I really want the ration width:height to be 4:3. My
simple solution was to just draw it bigger in the function
gtk_<widget)_expose();, but that doesn't work. The image gets bigger but
the allocated space doesn't, so the widgets below it are layed over my own.
Does anyone know how to make a "fixed" width/height ration?

Ronald