Re: Hello there

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 02:56:05PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> "Doing it right", of course, may include avoiding OS-specific calls, or
> using #ifdefs to make the appropriate calls on particular platforms, or
> encapsulating the OS-specific calls, if your program is to run on
> non-UNIX-flavored platforms.

The program he's porting already runs on one of them - he's porting it
from Windows.  Making it able to run on BeOS might be useful, though.

> Note that GLib encapsulates some of those calls for you (including calls
> to do run-time loading of code, which need encapsulation even for
> portability amongst UNIX-flavored OSes!), and also offers some "Windows
> compatibility functions":

(Most of those are actually just macros to strip the heading underscore
off of the names of some some UNIX-compatibility functions in, I think,
Microsoft's C run time library.)