global cursor setting?

Does anyone know how to go about setting a window containing multple widgets
to have a single cursor?  I am currently trying to modify the gtkfilesel.c
file to change the cursor to a GDK_WATCH regardless of which widget the
cursor is over while performing filename completion stuff using;

gdk_window_set_cursor(GTK_WIDGET(fs)->window, gdk_cursor_new(GDK_WATCH));

The code compiles fine, but the cursor does not change at all when I run the
code?!?!?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

				-- Stupid Genius