Re: More GtkList questions...

Hello,

On 25 Feb 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Raymond Wan <rwan cs mu oz au> writes:
> > 	Not sure how best I can add something like 80000 rows while still
> > being able to click on a row and know what row I clicked on...  Does
> > anyone have any suggestions??
> In GTK+-1.2 there is a limit on window size to ~32768 pixels.
> GtkList uses a single big window, and thus can only hold
> a limited number of rows.

	Oh...I see...  Hmmm, this limitation doesn't seem to apply to a
GtkText.  Is that because GtkText represents text as a gchar* whereas a
GtkList converts the text to a widget?

> [ Also, note for GtkList, there is a widget created for row, so
>   80,000 items would take a _lot_ of memory ]

	Yeah...as I slow down the machine I'm on, I'm starting to notice
that.  Traversing through the linked list of items (GList) is also
painfully slow.

	You're right; perhaps A GtkList isn't the way to go.  Thanks for
your reply!  :)

Ray