Waiting for an operator's response

At particular points in my program, I would like to stop processing until an
operator responds
to a popup window created.  For example, the window might say "Type any key
to continue".

When I attempt to create the popup window and then go into a while loop
until a flag is set, the popup window never appears.  It's seems like 100%
of the gtk processing is allocated to the
while loop.

Or is there a way to inform gtk main to halt processing until a flag is set.

How do halt all processing until the operator responds to a window?

Thanks,

Randy