increasing focus outline size?

I have an app with lots of small buttons on it.  Users select various
buttons and I show that the buttons are "selected" by setting their
focus.  However, the focus outline is only about a pixel wide and
pretty hard to see (or so the users have told me).  Is there a way to
increase this outline?  I even created a new class using the gtkbutton
code and screwed around with the settings in the gtk_button_paint
function, but nothing I did seemed to work.

I also screwed around with GTK_STATE_SELECTED for a while, thinking
that might be a different way to go (since I could change the selected
state colors).  But I found that the SELECTED state wasn't very well
defined and my settings were typically over-ridden by the NORMAL and
ACTIVE state settings (which I need to use as well).  In fact, I found
little documentation on what exactly the SELECTED state is supposed to
specify and when.

If anyone could help, I'd be most appreciative.  My app is scheduled
to begin use in a psychoacoustic experiment next week, so I'd love to
fix this if I can.

* Gary Scavone                                        *
* Center for Computer Research in Music & Acoustics   *
* Stanford University                                 *
* gary ccrma stanford edu                             *
* http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~gary/                *