another question about gdk_window_shape_combine_mask(...)

I have a call back function which will be called when receive a expose event
or configure event.
In the call back function, according to different conditions it will draw
different transparent pixmaps that using gdk_window_shape_combine_mask to
shape the window, sometimes it will draw multi transparent pixmaps.
However, looks like it is very low efficient, because I see the screen
flushing multi-times and my callback function being called
several times.
So, is that a good way to solve this??  Or is there a way I could know when
my callback function being called is because of calling
gdk_window_shape_combine_mask???

Thanks

Jiang