Horizontal sliding on text boxes

Hi all,

	I was wondering if anyone has got horizontal sliding bars working
in a text box?  In the Tutorial, it says that they don't work, but I have
this book titled "Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDK" by Eric
Harlow which seems to imply they do work.

	If indeed they don't, does anyone know when they will?  [i.e.,
next major reversion quite a while from now, etc.]

	Actually, if someone else has a better suggestion for what I'm
doing, please let me know.  What I have is a text box which contains
strings which may be longer than the size of the window...and in fact, may
span several lines.  However, I definitely don't want to break the string
up with word wrapping.  Ideally, I would also like to click on a string
and "know" which one I've clicked on.  Text boxes seem to only store the
character I've clicked on rather than the line.  [I suppose what I'm doing
would be like a File Open window but listing each file with its full path
name...I'm not doing that, but that's how long my strings can get.]

	In the end, I went ahead and chose a text box.  Does anyone think
I made a poor choice and should have picked a list box or some other
widget I don't know about?  I am beginning to think I made a poor
choice...does anyone know if horizontal sliding bars work on a list box?

	Thank you!

Ray