Re: entry widget

In message <3C1903FB 7E845700 rightnow com>you write:
>Im a bit new a this, and have a question about a custom widget.
>Does anyone know of any entry widgets available that provide static
>place holders. For example, I want to make some entry fields with phone
>numbers, ip addresses, decimals (money)....
>So for phone number I would want "(   )   -       " in the box and have
>it not be editable.  So when the user starts typing the text just goes
>in left to right without disturbing the quotes or dashes.
>Before I go off writing some custom widgets I thought I would ask if
>anyone knew of any available.

i don't know of any but i usually pack multiple entries + labels together for such
things. i'm not sure its the easiest way, but its worked well for me
(at least when using gtkmm, which i always do). i have a very complex
"audio clock" object that has this type of issue (4 times over since
there ar 4 different clock display formats): the clock allows direct
data entry as well as display. handling focus is a pain, however.

--p