delete_event

Greetings
My application has a main window with a CList.. each entry can be modified
with a dedicated dialog..
Now, if the user tries to close the entry editor without saving, catching the
"delete_event" for the window I can prompt for a question.
The problem is if the user tries to close the main window. I don't know
how handle that situation.. I am only able to generate a destroy event with
gtk_widget_destroy(), but I can't figure out how to generate the delete_event
and then falling back in the previous situation.
I tried with:
gtk_signal_emit_by_name(GTK_OBJECT(editor_window), "delete_event");
but everything I got is a good segfault (at the marshall)!
Any help would be appreciated

Regards

--
Johnny