memory question

In the Fixed Container example, see
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/sec-fixedcontainer.html

A fixed container is created and a button is put on
it using gtk_fixed_put.

In my test program, which resembles the above example,
I fill up the fixed container
with all kinds of GtkWidget's (and I do not store
pointers to these GtkWidgets).

Each time I create a new fixed container,
I remove the old one from the window using:
  gtk_container_remove(GTK_CONTAINER(window), fixed);
and then add the next one:
  fixed = new_fixed;
  gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(window), fixed);

This is probably stupid, because it consumes all my
memory (well, that of my computer at least).
Can anyone explain to me how I can free all memory
used by the fixed container and all widgets inside?

If I call gtk_widget_destroy(fixed) for example,
will it automatically destroy all widgets that are
inside?

t.i.a.
Jonne.