CTree not scrolling

I ran across a problem which concerns a GtkCTree in a GtkScrolledWindow.
The policy for both the horizontal and vertical bars in the scrolled
window is set to AUTOMATIC. The vertical scrolling works fine, however,
horizontal scrollbar doesn't appear until I shrink the window way down
horizontally. I would think that if any part of the GtkCTree is off the
screen the scrollbar would appear, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
The following URL has a screenshot that explains what I'm seeing:

	http://bach.ispi.net/misc/ctree_no_scroll.png

If I set policy to ALWAYS the scrollbar appears but it just fills the
whole scrolling area and doesn't start working as expect until the
window is shrunk really narrow again.

Hope someone can help me.

-Andrei