Re: widget placement (please don´t bury me)

Jim Edwards wrote:
> I have an application that has a main drawing area which is the focus of
> most of the users interaction.   It would be nice if I could specify
> that other widgets (of the same application) should not open over that
> area unless there is no place else to open - this includes transient
> windows for the application.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how
> to do this?

My app does something like this by memorising the position of a dialog on
popdown (with gdk_window_get_root_origin()), and next time a dialog of that type
is popped up, positioning it at the last point (with
gtk_widget_set_uposition()).

I think this sort of mucking about is frowned on, since it can conflict with the
user's window manager. I have a preferences option to disable it.

John