Re: GTK 1.2 Tree Item Signal

Jonathan Smith <jonsmith dragonstar dhs org> writes:

> > What's the difference between "stop all instances" and "stop it from
> > happening"?
> >

> If a fire is caused in a location everytime someone presses a button, do
> you assign someoen with a fire extinguisher to stand over the location
> where the fire is started or do you fix what the button controls so that
> it doesn't start a fire?
>
> The difference is that one is a configuration option, the other is a
> hack.

OK, sure, but the widget is just dead anyhow so it doesn't bother me
much. I just wanted to confirm that the hack worked fine for now.

(Though as a general rule, we don't provide config options to change
how the UI of standard components work; if you want to make components
inconsistent with other apps you have to hack them. If the UI sucks it
should be fixed on the GTK level, not made configurable. The problem
you're encountering is that GtkTree has a stupid UI feature that
should not have been there in the first place.)

> Actually, except for this, it works adequately.  GtkCTree is also
> obsoleted, as is GtkTree, in GTK 2.0 so I don't see recoding once to
> recode again....  If this is an undocumented, unconfigurable "feature" of
> gtk1.2, we'll use such a hack until gtk2.0....  But it doesn't rank well
> in my book.

The difference between GtkTree and GtkCTree is that GtkTree is
bug-packed and broken, in addition to being deprecated, while GtkCTree
is merely deprecated. GtkTree will disappear entirely post-2.0,
GtkCTree maybe someday too but much less soon, since it's more widely
used and less actively buggy.

But if you haven't noticed the bugs, feel free to use GtkTree. ;-)

Havoc