Chaning mouse pointer image

Does anyone know how to change the image the mouse pointer uses? For example, change it from the standard pointer to crosshairs when playing a game, or to an hourglass when busy? I looked through the most of the docs and didn't find anything about this, and nothing in the mailing list, but I didn't look /that/ hard. Any help you can give would be nice.

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I remain."

charles petersen