Re: scrollbar display options

On 2001.04.28 13:50:52 +0200 Paul Davis wrote:
> >I was told that a good design means aligning something with something
> >else, so that the whole thing doesn't look like a bunch of widgets
> >randomly dropped on the screen.
>
> This part I agree with. But your example is a poor one. The positional
> indicators would be quite unnecessary if the scrollbar had the
> functionality that a click anyway in its length moved to that
> position. Some scrollbars (perhaps even GTK+'s) work this way.
>
> As a general principle of design-with-themes-in-mind, don't ever try
> to aggregate distinct widgets into a "whole" simply by placement. If
> you want a scrollbar with tick marks under it, you need a new widget
> type. Likewise, if you want a widget thats like the spinbutton, but
> puts the arrows in different places, don't try to use a GtkEntry plus
> two GtkArrows - this may come out wrong with certain themes. You need
> a new widget that ensures the placement because of its internal design.

But this is kind of trivial...

So maybe you can enlighten me, I need a scrollbar (or actually a gtkhscale)
with three sliders instead of one. Two sliders are supposed to be
represented by small thin lines or these small arrow-like-thingies like the
ones you saw below the scale in the http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~dave/gsmix.gif
But their maximal value and minimal value should not be the first/last
pixel of the gtkhscale but rather the minimal/maximal value of the middle
of the normal (third) slider.

How do I calculate their positions then? I could for example use the
gtkhscale as a part in my Struct of this widget, but then I cannot access
the width/height of the slider of the widget and the maximal/minimal
position of the slider. I can also make a new widget based on the code but
then I'm doubling code which is ugly.

Is there a "the right way"(tm) of doing this?

Ronald

--
--   .-.    | Ronald Bultje                        |