Which tree widget should I use?

Hello.

For an application I'm planning to write I need to use a tree widget.
But I'm not shure which one to choose, because I'm not very experienced with
GTK.
So could please someone summarize which advantages/disadvantages the two
tree widgets of GTK 1 have, and for what kinds of uses they are more suitable
than the other one? Using GTK 2 is not an option at the moment, because
linking against GNOME (gnome libs and GTK 1) plus GTK 2 is not acceptable.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Rolf Schaeuble