Re: Newbie questions

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Ed Winchester <edward e winchester lmco com> writes:
I know that there are other GIU development tools out there, like Qt.
Is GTK+ the best place for me to be starting?  I know, I'm asking to
start a flame war, and this is not my desire.  I really don't know, and
want to know.

I see that GTK+ has some kind of resource files.  Is there any kind of
graphical screen design tool, similar to the Microsoft Resource Editor,
where I can drag and drop controls; use a property box to define their
properties; stretch, mangle and bend them till I get the look I want;
and have all this saved in a file somewhere,  automatically part of my
program?  I know, I'm spoiled, but I'm used to that.

There are many more options in the GTK+ world than you may have been accustomed to on other platforms; another is SDPGTK, a stable, cross-platform (Posix & Win32) C++ binding for GTK+ that combines XML layout files ("resources"), a much-more-object-oriented approach than libglade, and advanced features such as built-in OpenGL support and methods for simulating user interaction for tutorials & demos. You can check out the library along with a complex ( ~ 100 dialogs ) application at http://www.k-3d.com

Regards,
Timothy M. Shead