How do I find recommended replacements for deprecated functions?

If a function is deprecated in the new api the reference manual contains a
fairly generic warning, e.g.:

    gtk_window_set_default_size is deprecated and should not be used in
    newly-written code.

Is there a way to find out what I should be using instead of any given
deprecated function?  Assuming there is no document that outlines such
mappings (I realize it won't always be one-to-one), if I start to collect
such information is there a place in the documentation where I could add it,
perhaps by embellishing the generic warning?  I'd be happy to do the grunt
work but need some strategy hints.

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)