examples of gtk new tree/list widget stuff?

Are there any readable examples of the new gtk tree/list stuff floating
around?  The gtk/tests/testgtk.c files still uses the old stuff and the
various gtk/tests/testtree*.c files don't really qualify as "readable",
especially since I have no mental model of how this is supposed to work.
Initially, I'm not interested in all the fancy bells and whistles these
widgets support.  I just want to create a single-column list and add and
remove items from it.  Python or C is fine.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098