Re: probelm about install

Paul Davis wrote:
(snip)
> Hopefully, its obvious that you could also use
>
>       ./configure --prefix=/some/other/place/you/can/write
>
> as well.

Just wanted to add to the above: it works quite well, and is fairly
easy, even if you're a relative newbie at the GNU build procedure.  The
key is to use "--prefix=wherever" to all of the software you are
installing.

I ended up with autoconf, automake, autoproject, gnome-libs, stdtypes,
and of course fortune, all installed under /home/emonsler/usr/local.
This is in addition to glib, gtk, glade, libglabe, gtk+extra, etc.

The path modifications (in my .bashrc) required are shown below, with
formatting I'm sure completely hosed:

export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib:/home/emonsler/usr/local/lib
export
PATH=/home/emonsler/usr/bin:/home/emonsler/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/sbin:$HOME/MyTools:/usr/openwin/bin:.
export
MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/openwin/man:/home/emonsler/usr/local/man

Have fun with it.

Eric