buttonpress/release & graphical login

Two general questions if anyone can help me...

Developing a touchscreen epos system using gtk
All is well except that I need a graphical login to obviate the keyboard
requirement. I can do this on Suse using kde and no password. Presumably I
could set up RedHat to do the same.
Are there other possibilities. Perhaps this will need addressing with the
proliferation of touch technology.

In the above environment (no k/b, no mouse) I wish to emulate the holding
down of a key to perform an iterative op. ( say running up a clist) and
stopping on release (plodding on a touchscreen button is undesirable).
Trouble is, don't know how. The press func. must finish before the release
starts.
Sorry if this is naive. Can anyone help?

Many thanks
Tom