"cannot load module ... couldn't open libtool archive

I managed to get James Henstridge's pygtk2-SNAP-20010408 built and installed
yesterday using gtk and glib 1.3.3 and friends.  I'm having trouble using
the GtkTextView widget from Python, however.  The following simple Python
code generates several GRuntime-CRITICAL messages when the GtkTextView
instance is created and errors about not being able to load a libtool
archive when win.show_all() is called:

    import gtk
    win = gtk.GtkWindow()
    t = gtk.GtkTextView()
    win.add(t)
    win.connect("destroy", gtk.mainquit)
    win.show_all()

I will assume there's not much I can do about the GRuntime-CRITICAL errors
for the moment:

    GRuntime-CRITICAL **: file gparamspecs.c: line 1465 (g_param_spec_enum): assertion `g_enum_get_value (enum_class, default_value) != NULL' failed
    GRuntime-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 297 (g_object_class_install_property): assertion `G_IS_PARAM_SPEC (pspec)' failed
    GRuntime-CRITICAL **: file gparamspecs.c: line 1465 (g_param_spec_enum): assertion `g_enum_get_value (enum_class, default_value) != NULL' failed
    GRuntime-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 297 (g_object_class_install_property): assertion `G_IS_PARAM_SPEC (pspec)' failed

I'm more concerned about these messages:

    Cannot load module /usr/local/lib/pango/modules/pango-basic-x.so: couldn't open libtool archive

They suggest I'm either missing something in the installation (I did install
pango) or the runtime environment.  Here's what I've tried so far:

    * added /usr/local/lib/pango/modules to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    * executed "ldconfig /usr/local/lib/pango/modules"

Neither had any effect.  /usr/local/lib/pango/modules/pango-basic-x.la does
exist and is world readable.  I didn't see anything that looked particularly
mystical in there or references to non-existent files or directories.

I am new to libtool and its magic, so perhaps this is something completely
unrelated to Gtk.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098