Re: help installing GTK+

    Michael> Hello all, I'm a Linux newbie, trying to install GTK+ 1.2.8
    Michael> onto Redhat Linux 5.2.  I first had to get the updated version
    Michael> of glib it required, no problem.  Now the configure script
    Michael> gives the error:

    Michael> *** X libraries or include files not found. Check 'config.log for
    Michael> *** more details.
    Michael> configure:4604: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
    Michael> configure:4600: X11/Intrinsic.h: No such file or directory
    Michael> configure: failed program was:
    Michael> #line 4599 "configure"
    Michael> #include "confdefs.h"
    Michael> #include <X11/Intrinsic.h>

Michael,

Generally speaking, systems like X have several types of elements:

    * applications, like the X Server and xterm
    * shared libraries, required to execute the applications
    * include files and other bits and pieces used to compile applications

You're missing the third bit on your system.  On my Mandrake system, the X
include files are in the XFree86-devel rpm.  On your RedHat system, look for
something similar on your CD.  (RH 5.2 is getting pretty long in the tooth,
by the way.  Unless you have some compatibility reason for running it, I
suggest you locate a RH 7 or Mandrake 7 CD.)

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098