Re: installing gtk+

Maarten Ottens wrote:

> I'm still trying to install gtk+. I managed to install glib 1.2.8 using the rpm
> commands and the redhat rpm's.
> I'm getting the following errors while trying to install the gtk+.rpm packages:
>
> bash-2.03# rpm -Uhv gtk+-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         gtk >= 1.2.6 is needed by gimp-1.1.18-0
>
> although i have gtk 1.2.7:

It looks like your SuSE and RedHat RPM's don't mix very well. You could try
using
the --nodeps option to RPM to force it to install the newer package, but a
better
option would be to see if SuSE have their own RPM's of GTK+ 1.2.8.

> trying to run the configure script from the .tar.gz distribution i get (the
> config.log-file):
>
> configure:4600: X11/Intrinsic.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 4599 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
> configure:4680: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lXt   1>&5
> configure: In function `main':
> configure:4676: warning: implicit declaration of function `XtMalloc'
> /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lXt
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 4673 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> int main() {
> XtMalloc()
> ; return 0; }

Xt is the toolkit library that comes with the X Window system. I'm suprised
that the GTK+ configure script checks for it, unless this is a simple way
of ensuring the X development headers and libraries are installed. Check
that you have all the X development stuff installed - it's the  XFree86-devel
package in RedHat Linux.

Chris
--
tarpaper in the tissue dispenser