How to access CList and CTree?

The CList functions all take a guint specifying the row number to access
the data of a row in gtk_clist_get_row_data
The CTree functions take the node pointer instead, in
gtk_ctree_node_get_row_data

Why? A CTree is a CList and shouldn't I be able to use
gtk_clist_get_row_data on a CTree too?

I ask because the selection is a list of row numbers in both cases and seems
to be the only way of accessing the current selection (see my previous
question)

Nils

--
Quotes from the net, featuring John Lapeyre[L] and Christopher F. Miller [M]: