Re: Wheel mice

    fclose> After it, I looked at that wheel and thought about
    fclose> actually using it. It was not a pleasant task, I must
    fclose> say. There's a program called IMWheel which translates the
    fclose> moves of the wheel to PGUP and PGDN keystrokes. It works,
    fclose> but that's just too fucking ugly.

    fclose> Then I thought about how to implement it's functionality
    fclose> in a coller way: the scrollbar widgets, wich is part of
    fclose> GTK. If you guys look close at a wheel mouse you'll
    fclose> probably notice that the wheel movement is translated to
    fclose> buttons 3 and 4 of the mice.

I wouldn't say GTK would be the right place to do that. You want it to
happen at the lowest level possible, or the behavioral inconsistencies
between your applications WILL drive you crazy.

If I were looking to implement this stuff natively, I'd do it in the X
server. Don't they have wheel functionality in Xfree 4.x? Wheel mice
have been around forever now...

--
Bruce Ide                                            bruce ide echostar com
http://www.paratheoanametamystikhood.net