Dead keys question

Hi,

I understand how dead keys are configured and reported using the
keyval / string fields of GdkEvent but I had a question about
how to handle them in my widget:

I have the deadkeys info (keyval is being reported correctly)
but I see that string is set to '^', for example, for the
0xfe52 key, which is the dead_circumflex.  Some things I've
read seem to indicate the string should be '' for the dead key
and I should be getting the correct char only after the second key is
pressed.  But I just get '^' with the first keystroke and and 'i'
with the second.

(Note that things do work properly in an xterm and elsewhere
so I'm fairly certain I've got the basic configuration right).

Given this, it seems that I need to look at keyval and do my own
processing.  Is this really true or is there support in gtk for
this?  (I could find no docs on this).

If I do have to do the work myself, what is the recommended
way to access the dead keys mappings which are configured by
the user?

Thanks for any info!

- Stephan

Archaeopteryx Software, Inc.                        Wing IDE for Python
www.archaeopteryx.com                               Take Flight!