Re: How to display GTK app on the top?

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 01:54:38PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > (Also, am I missing something, or is there nothing in the current
> > version of the Window Manager Specification to let you specify that a
> > window must always be on top?)
>
>  No, there is a gnome window manager speicification (or something like that)
> available on gnome.org,

Well, there's

	http://developer.gnome.org/doc/standards/wm/book1.html

which does mention the "always on top" stuff.

> that documents additional atoms that window manager
> should try to support. gnome_winhints_* just uses winhints listed in that
> document.

"Additional" as in "over and above the Window Manager Specification at

	http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec.html

" (that being the one to which I was referring)?

If so, I think some of the stuff specified by the GNOME window manager
spec is supposed to be in the freedesktop.org window manager spec,
although not all of it necessarily is (e.g., the WIN_LAYER_xxx stuff).

> It's very interesting and useful spec (for example, it allows
> setting window app state to something like WIN_APP_STATE_DISK_TRAFFIC1,
> WIN_APP_STATE_ERROR1, WIN_APP_STATE_FATAL_ERROR1,  WIN_APP_STATE_WAITING1,
> WIN_APP_STATE_PERCENT0[0-9]0_2 that in future can allow very inteligent
> handling of windows (like playing predefined sounds when window state becomes
> WIN_APP_STATE_FATAL_ERROR or WIN_APP_STATE_PERCENT100_1).

None of those appear to be mentioned in

	http://developer.gnome.org/doc/standards/wm/book1.html

so maybe there's another spec hiding somewhere.