Detach a widget from container

Hi!

  I have the following problem. I have a container widget (a vbox) and a
widget packed into this container:

    gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(container),vbox);

  I need to detach the vbox from the container without destroying it. I
tried first the gtk_container_remove(), but it destroys the child
widget. Do you know, how could I do it? I need the widget later for
inserting into another container, and it would be terrible waste of time,
if I'd have to destroy it and then later create it again...

  							Jim

PS: The documentation for GtkWidget and GtkContainer contains only empty
lines and in the source I wasn't able to find the function I'm looking
for... Is anyone going to fill something in the documentation about the
GtkWidget, GtkContainer widgets? It would be _very_ helpful!