Detach a widget from container

  I have the following problem. I have a container widget (a vbox) and a
widget packed into this container:

  I need to detach the vbox from the container without destroying it. I
tried first the gtk_container_remove(), but it destroys the child
widget. Do you know, how could I do it? I need the widget later for
inserting into another container, and it would be terrible waste of time,
if I'd have to destroy it and then later create it again...

PS: The documentation for GtkWidget and GtkContainer contains only empty
lines and in the source I wasn't able to find the function I'm looking
for... Is anyone going to fill something in the documentation about the
GtkWidget, GtkContainer widgets? It would be _very_ helpful!