Combo widget with no user input?

Is there a widget that looks like the combo box but only allows the user to
select from the list, not to type in her own entry?

I don't want a list because I like the widget to fit in a single line field.
Also the other possible selections need not to be visible all the time.

Or is the idea just to just modify a few of the combo box's callbacks to
make it do what I want?

Nils

--
Quotes from the net, featuring John Lapeyre[L] and Christopher F. Miller [M]: