Re: GTK+ client server app, and another question.

You can ask GDK to notify you when IO is available.

See the "Monitoring IO" section of the online tutorial:

http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/gtk_tut-17.html#ss17.2

Go read it, it's 1 screen of text.  I'll wait :)

I assume that the socket options supported by the OS affect when your
callback function is called.  That is something I mean to check
eventually (unless someone here knows already, hint hint) either by
reading the source or by running some tests.  Especially, if the OS
supports the SO_RCVLOWAT socket option, does GDK use select to implement
the monitoring, such that my callback only occurs when there is the
specified amount of data to read?

Eric Monsler