X-connection after a fork

Hi

I have a GTK app that wants to fork off a child process, which is also a
GTK app. Of course the child process uses the parent's connection to the X
server, and makes everything blow up because X doesn't like that :-)

Calling gtk_main_quit() in the child process, and then gtk_init again
doesn't do the trick. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get a separate
connection to X for the child process? (Forking before the first gtk_init
is unfortunately not an option :-(

TIA

Conrad