Enough already - Re: ANNOUNCE: gtk-image-viewer-0.0.1

Guys, the level of cynicism in this thread is distressing. Who cares if
prog A or B does the same thing? This guy wrote a neat app that works
and he's proud of the hours of work he put into it. It was his choice to
create a new app rather than contribute to a pre-existing app (though I
don't think there is an image-viewing widget). What would have happened
if the GTK guys came out and announced that they had created a neat
widget set library and everyone said "Well, doesn't Motif already have
that?" or "Doesn't Qt already do that?" or what about the argument over
"Why Gnome if KDE already does that?". More than anything that I like
about Linux is the variety of choices we have. Who knows if this widget
will become a standard issue for GTK, or maybe merged into a larger
project? Personally, I'd like to see some #ifdefs in there for Gnome if
that environment is detected. Why not? It's all a matter of personal
preference. I don't think his announcement was meant to generate this
kind of discussion, but rather to generate some peer review that is the
backbone of Open Source Software development, so if your interested,
look at his app, judge it, think of how you would improve it or change
it and bring it to the table...

Cheers,
Mike