Another slacker question about color

Not having enough time to dig this up at the moment, I was wondering if
someone has a suggestion for the following situation:

I have a set of 16 different shades of gray displayed, each of which has a
scale below it, and I need to darken or lighten according to the scale value.

I tried doing a gdk_color_change() and then changing the background in the
style on the widget displaying the gray being changed, but after a couple
changes, the color goes to white and stays that way.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson