gtk_entry_set_text() and very fast updates

Question, I have need to update an entry box on the order of ~200ms
intervals.  Using gtk_entry_set_text() only seems to grow in memory
usage.

[...]
   commaval=commafy(tuples);
   sprintf(temp, "%*s", 9, commaval);
   free(commaval);
   gtk_entry_set_text(GTK_ENTRY(count_field), temp);
[...]

Consider this the body of a loop.  Yes, I'm new to gtk starting last
wednesday evening.  Can someone recommend a leak proof method other than
widget de/construction?

tia,
-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was

begin:vcard
n:Ford;David
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1