Help with shaped widgets

Hi,

I am trying to create a widget shaped to the framed outline of an app I am writing. I have tried gtk_widget_shape_combine_mask() but it masks the wrong area. It instead maks the area I want to keep tranparent and clickable and places gray over the nice frame I spent hours creating. How can I reverse this effect or am I going about this all wrong?

Also, I am using gtk+1.2.8 and tried using GnomeCanvas, GnomeAnimator, and GtkDrawingArea. GnomeAnimator won't mask at all and GtkDrawing Area gives me an error sort of like this (writing this error from memory):

assertion: "isdrawable" != NULL

Please help, I posted a similar request on the gnome-list and haven't recieved a response.

Thanks in advance,
Adam