Dialog positioning redux

I've been playing with centering dialog widgets on application windows for a
bit over the past couple days.  A brief scan of the archives did not produce
anything specific about the behavior I'm seeing.

Calling gtk_window_reposition() or gtk_widget_set_uposition() only appears to
work *after* the dialog window is visible, which causes a flash as the window
is moved to its new location.

What am I missing that will allow me to move the widget before making it
visible?
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson