Installation Problems

I have installed GLIB 1.2.7. I then tried installing gtk+-1.2.7 but I
continue to receive the following error when running ./configure

checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.7...
*** 'glib-config --version' returned 1.2.7, but GLIB (1.2.6)
*** was found! If glib-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLIB. You may also be able to fix the
error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If glib-config was wrong, set the environment variable GLIB_CONFIG
*** to point to the correct copy of glib-config, and remove the file
config.cache
*** before re-running configure

The "old" version was installed via RPM so I simply removed it and tried
installing everything all over again including GLIB, but the same
error... I have no idea what this means:

by modifying your LD_LIBRARY PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
/etc/ld.so.conf.

Edit what? Edit it to say what? This doesn't make any sense to me...

What am I suppose to do to install this newer version?

Running RedHat 6.2 Intel