Re: [gtk-list] Re: Should there be a call to make a window "active"?

> Window managers intercept map requests from clients and then do whatever
> they were configured to do. I'm not sure if _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is intended
> to bring a window from another workspace to the current one. If it is,
> somebody should add a note about that to the spec.

Would that be something that'd be considered window manager policy, i.e.
window managers could bring the window from another workspace to the
current one, or switch to the workspace containing the window?

> But even if that's
> the right thing to use, it can only be used with conforming window managers.
> Calling XSetInputFocus() when the window is not viewable results in BadMatch.

Yup, that's why the wait for the map notify in the code from what I
presume is some game Loki ported.

> I'd be happier if Netscape (and other similar applications) would create
> a new window (which would automaticly get a focus if WM was configured to
> do so), then transfer widgets from the old window to the new one and
> then destroy the old window. I'm not sure if this is possible with GTK.
> Probably gtk_container_remove() could be used, but it's currently somewhat
> underdocumented.

I presume what you really want is to have the window pop up in your
current workspace, with the suggestion above being a way of achieving
that.  It seems like a bit of a cumbersome way of achieving that goal,
though.