Pango question

Hello I have a question about pango.

I tried to write a very simple application to see
how Pango works but found that it will not show text
if there is characters that is over the
range ASCII > 128 using:

pango_layout_set_text(..)

and when drawing using:

pango_x_layout_render(...)

I know that Pango is using some kind of scripts
but does this means Pango needs a script for every country?

Or does it mean i need to convert every ASCII character to
UTF-8 before calling any *_set_text routine?

Even if the country is using old 8 bit characters sets?

Maybe this is a dumb question. But I have tried to read
the API/documentation but I'm still a bit confused...

Greats

MikeH

--

Totally free Linux/Windows applications at:
http://www.bahnhof.se/~mikeh

Country: Sweden
City: Kristianstad
ICQ: 64150878