helloworld.cc tutorial

In the helloworld example of the gtk-- tutorial found at
sourceforge.com, the function delete_event_impl is overriden:

int HelloWorld::delete_event_impl (GdkEventAny *event)
{
    cout << "delete event occured" << endl;
return true;
}

but when I press the closed button on the window while the program is
running , Hello World is printed to the terminal.  I was under the
impression that "delete event occured" would be printed to the terminal
instead.  Why is this?

Brian