basic question

Hi,
	 I have a very basic question regd gtk. I am going throught the gtk
tutorials and am in the third tutorial.

In it the author creates uses a gtkwidget *button and creates a button
and names it button1. He sets up signal handlers for it etc..
He then creates a second button using the same widget *button and names it
button2
I somehow feel that this should destroy the first button and all that he has
set up for it, (because thats how pointers work.. right) but I see that it
doesn't work this way. can someone explain what's happening?
thank you
Aravind.

--
 earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.