PerlGtk question

Hello all.  I have a perl module with a function called new, which creates the GtkWindow by
calling a number of sub functions.  For some reason widgets created in sub functions (even
though they are stored in global variables) seem to no longer work correctly.... e.g. my
GtkText which is made in a sub and and stored in the package global %output{'text'} no longer
reacts to functions calls on it, e.g. $output{'text'}->insert(...) does nothing inside
new, but works fine in the sub in which the widget was created.  Whats really strange is that
there is no execution error.  Is this a simple matter of scope?  Is there some reason I cannot
have widgets inside subs?  Is this supposed to occurr?

thanks

-matt