Re: [gtk-list] Re: Main Window References Dialog Window(or vica versa)?

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 01:16:14 +0100, Emmanuel DELOGET <logout@free.fr>  said:
>     Unless you develop some specific application for
>     some limited memory machine, I suppose you can
>     assume that the users of your program have more
>     than 256KB of RAM.

Umm.. 256KB?  I wasn't aware that you could link a GTK application
that would fit into 256KB.  Last 256KB machine I saw was running
MS-DOS 3.1 (not windows, dos ;) and had an 80186 chipset in it. ;)

Or did you mean 256M?

>     As a side note, you should notice that
>     using a lot of memory is not really a big problem
>     on today's machine. I may be wrong, but I think
>     that limitating a GUI based software in order
>     to have it running on deprecated machine is
>     just a waste of energy and time.

You however *should* remember that the average *user* may not have
as much memory as you do.  Your best bet here is probably writing
to "whatever the 'standard' config was 3 years ago".  That's the
average lifespan of a PC.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech