Re: [gtk-list] Re: Graphic Contexts

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius <corsepiu@faw.uni-ulm.de> writes:
> > Am I misunderstanding something here? Otherwise, this API seems somewhat
> > suspectable or even broken to me.
> >

> A mask of multiple values will work fine.
>
> The GTK convention (which may be a bit broken) is to specify the enum
> type instead of "int", when a logical | of several flags is the
> expected argument. This helps humans know what the argument is
> supposed to be.

Well, X11 seems to have reasons to use unsigned longs for this kind of masks
(cf. XCreateGC etc.). One of them apparently is C++ compatibilty ;)

> C++ compilers don't like this at all, so you typically have to insert
> a cast to the enum type.

Yes, I am using C++, applying gtk/gdk's C-API.

> Gtk-- probably maps these Mask enums to ints,
> if it doesn't it's a good suggestion.

I am not using Gtk--, but AFAIS,
* gtk-- don't seem to support getting GCs at all (at least I can't find any GC
related wrapper in gtk--'s headers).
* gdk-- does not seem to support setting multiple bits for value_masks (cf.
gdk--/gc.h).

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)