Re: [gtk-list] GMemChunk for skip lists

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> 	Also, what is the point of a GAllocator?

excessive temporary use of a certain structure type.
explainatory email from archives appended, probably
and FAQ candidate.

> Thank You,
> Derek Simkowiak

---
ciaoTJ

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:54:40 +0200 (CEST)
From: Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org>
To: yarick@yarick.relex.ru
Cc: Gtk+ Application MList <gtk-app-devel-list@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Glib memory handling

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Yarick Rastrigin wrote:

> well, could someone clear some points for me ?
> I'm writing an app, which in turns creates quite large GList' s.
> I'm monitoring memory usage with qps. App requests and gets 8 Mbytes of
> memory for it's purposes, after processing lists are freed with all
> their contents. Howewer, data size of my app isn't decreased when all
> done. How I could really free unnecessary memory ? Or this isn't
> gtk/glib feature, but libc-related one ?
> --

glib usually keeps list nodes around because it makes the basic assumption
that a program's list node usage stays approximately the same throghout
a programs life time.
if you require a huge amount of nodes for a certain time only, and you
know you better free them later on again, you need to use allocators.
appended is an old mail of mine which briefly describes allocator usage.

---
ciaoTJ