Re: gtk-term widget?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Deborah Swayne wrote:
> > Since gnome-libs is on all the Linux distributions with a remotely
> > intresting marketshare, and these will be 95% of your users if you're
> > doing free software, this is a pretty wrong statement.
>
> A lot of the users that matter to me use other dialects of unix
> (solaris or irix, mostly), and another crowd of users I'd like to
> appeal to lives on windoze.  So count me in with the crowd that
> tries to minimize the number of required libraries, gnome or
> otherwise.

<AOL>
Me too!
</AOL>

Another problem that cropped up on my local LUG list (Devon & Cornwall
LUG) is that it can be real pig getting the latest Gnome libraries when
you have an old faithful distro (say RH5.2 which once patched and 2.2.x'd
is very nice) as there are so many of them and many users distrust rpm
packages (due to the things that can go wrong if they are put together by
idiots not that the GNOME/GTK crew make dodgy rpms just that a lot of
people prefer tar.gz slackware stylee).

When you have 40 odd programs and libraries to download and then grab a
funky new app from freshmeat and discover you need to chase down various
libraries and install them you can get stuck in dependancy hell.

I know I'd like to see a lightweight package (tar.gz or rpm) with just the
essentials to run Gnome/GTK - all the core libs and some of the
documentation or some kind of guide to all the dependancies.

sorry this post kind of rambles - its a gray monday morning here in
Plymouth, UK and I have way too much to do.

A.

--
<!-- betty @ area51 --><A HREF = "http://www.termisoc.org/~betty">
LAUNCELOT:  We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.