Re: Mixing GTK and PGPLOT

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:
> Is anybody familiar with PGPLOT?  It's an excellent plotting package that
> does everything an astronomer would want to do.

As long as we are discussing various plotting package, let me take the
opportunity to plug Guppi (http://www.gnome.org/guppi).  Guppi is
Gnome-based ... which is either a benefit or a drawback, depending on
your point of view. :-)

The next release (which will be out any day now, I promise...)
features:

  * Printing support (via gnome-print)

  * Preliminary support for new plot types (pie charts, line graphs)

  * The ability to run in batch mode.  For example, a guile script
    could be used to specify a plot, render in into PostScript, and
    dump it into a file -- without needing any user interaction or a
    running X server.

  * Support for using Guppi's plot capabilities in your own programs,
    via automake macros and a libguppiConf.sh file for getting the
    required cflags and libs via gnome-config.

Guppi offers interactive (as opposed to static) plots, and
nice-looking anti-aliased screen displays.  It is based on the Gnome
Canvas, but can be used without any explicit references to the canvas
API, or any other Gnome API.

Guppi is still a relatively new and immature package, but it is
undergoing a lot of development.  If you feel brave, it is in module
"guppi3" on the Gnome CVS server.  (Though the amount of courage
required is really minimal, because I try to make sure that the CVS
version will always compile and run...)

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.