Mixing GTK and PGPLOT

Is anybody familiar with PGPLOT?  It's an excellent plotting package that
does everything an astronomer would want to do.

I'd like, if possible, to be able to use this within the context of GTK.
(Really, Gtk--, but GTK is what underlies it.)  Right now, PGPLOT can plot
to a window opened on an X server.  I'd like to be able to open a drawing
region -- similar to a Gtk Preview widget -- and then use PGPLOT to draw
to that widget.

Has anybody done anything like this?  How might one accomplish it?

I also intend to contact Karl Glazebrook (PGPLOT author) to ask him if he
has any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

-Rob
rknop@lbl.gov